Sunday, October 20, 2013

Super Fun Night


Super Fun Night is not a bad show! I don't tend to stick with shows for very long, but few impress me as this one does.

Why I've watched this show not once, but twice:

1. Main character, Kimmie, is fat and doesn't apologize for it. In fact, her fatness isn't part of the premise or the focus of any of the punchlines.
2. I actually laughed out loud a few times.
3. The show focuses on the lives of Kimmie and her two best friends all of whom are single working women with very idiosyncratic personalities and interests. They're geeks and they're great!
4. Unlike other new sitcoms (such as The Michael J. Fox Show and Sean Saves the World), the cast isn't made up of parents, children or married couples. Not only am I sick of the cliches of such sitcoms, but a unit that consists of at least one parent and one child doesn't feel like it has much to do with my life. The experiences of single women have a LOT more to do with my life.
5. Example of the humor: in the second episode, one of Kimmie's friends is on a first date pretending to be a botanist. When the geeky guy asks Marika for her favorite plant of all time, she thinks hard for a long moment, then says, "Lettuce." The date smiles and nods as if that's the best answer he could have imagined. They're both odd! And I don't mean quirky Carrie Bradshaw odd. I mean that these characters simply do not see things the way most people do.

Maybe Super Fun Night is the inevitable follow up to Big Bang Theory which broke ground by moving the bizarre, idiosyncratic characters from the sidelines to the starring roles. That's fine with me. I'm at least 20 years older than Kimmie and her friends, but I'll happily watch a show that focuses on single, culturally unusual women who do not fit the general standard of beauty. Besides the five years I spent as a wife, that is pretty much my life.

Characters Helen-Alice, Kimmie and Marika

No comments: